Large Round Plate with Gold and Black Border & Coat of Arms

MAKER:
Exporter

Compagnie des Indes ( Chinese , 1719 - 1794 )

DATE:
c. 1745
more object details

General Description

The lozenged arms of this plate are those of the Pigot family. The service was made for George Pigot (1719-1777) of Patshull, Staffordshire, England, who was governor of Fort Saint George in Madras, India, between 1755 and 1765 and again from 1775 to 1777. Pigot was a member of Parliament and was made a baronet in 1764. In 1766, he was made Baron Pigot of Patshull, County Dublin. He died in India.

The wolf's head crest and the Pigot family arms are flanked by late Baroque scrolled leaf mantling boldly painted in gold-heightened red and black enamels. In the well there is a gilt spearhead border and a delicate gold-heightened trellis and leaf pattern, popular on European porcelain in the mid-18th century, interrupted by five floral cartouches. The rim of this example is especially interesting. It has a wide laub und bandelwerk grisaille and gold border of elegant Baroque scaling, strapwork, peacocks, and flowers. At top center, it features a pelican feeding her young with her own blood, known as "Pelican in Her Piety." This particular version appears to have been copied from wares made at the Du Paquier factory in Vienna, Austria.

Adapted from

  • Dallas Museum of Art, Decorative Arts Highlights from the Wendy and Emery Reves Collection (Dallas, Texas: Dallas Museum of Art, 1995), 105.

  • Dallas Museum of Art, The Wendy and Emery Reves Collection (Dallas, Texas: Dallas Museum of Art, 1985), 198.

Web Resources

The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Read more about Chinese Export Porcelain