"Trier House" side chair

MAKER:
Designer

Frank Lloyd Wright ( American, 1867 - 1959 )

DATE:
c. 1956
more object details

General Description

Designed in 1956 for the Paul J. Trier House in Des Moines, Iowa, this side chair follows the Usonian concept that Frank Lloyd Wright espoused in the 1940s and 1950s. He described furnishings appropriate to such a house: "Rugs, draperies, and furnishings that are suitable for a Usonian house are those … that are organic in character, that is, textures and patterns that sympathize in their own design and construction with the design and construction of the particular house they occupy and embellish." Like many of the architect's late commissions, the Trier House was characterized by bold geometry and simple materials. This was reflected in the furniture through the choice of inexpensive plywood as the primary material, to which a simple upholstered foam rubber cushion was stapled. The square and angular patterns cut into the back reflect the geometry of the Trier House and also bring to mind the work Wright did for earlier structures. Similar motifs appeared in the bases of chairs for the Paul R. Hanna House in Palo Alto, California (1937) and in the clerestory panels of Wright's Usonian houses. Chairs identical to this one were originally designed in 1953 for the Usonian Pavilion in New York City. "Dallas Museum of Art: A Guide to the Collection," page 265