Brisé fan with a scene of two couples in a landscape
- c. 1700–1725
- MATERIAL AND TECHNIQUE:
- Oil on ivory blades, silk ribbon (replaced), mother-of-pearl, and paste gem
- Overall: 8 x 11 1/2 in. (20.32 x 29.21 cm)
- Decorative Arts and Design
- Not On View
- CREDIT LINE:
- Dallas Museum of Art, The Wendy and Emery Reves Collection
- Image courtesy Dallas Museum of Art
- OBJECT NUMBER:
Wendy and Emery Reves's fan collection was one of their most distinguished areas of collecting and was of particular interest to Wendy Reves. She collected nearly 110 examples dating from the early 18th to the early 20th century. The more than thirty fans now in the Dallas Museum of Art's collection represent the core of her 18th-century holdings. Throughout the 18th century, scenes of daily life were extremely popular as fan motifs. The Reves Collection contains several fine examples of this genre, including this fan.
Dallas Museum of Art, Decorative Arts Highlights from the Wendy and Emery Reves Collection (Dallas, Texas: Dallas Museum of Art, 1995), 25.