Fifth Avenue Houses

MAKER:
Artist

Berenice Abbott ( American, 1898 - 1991 )

DATE:
1936, print 1983
more object details

General Description

The following is the caption by Elizabeth McCausland accompanying the original 1939 edition of Berenice Abbott's Changing New York publication.

"Built in the mid-eighties for three Rhinelander daughters, the houses at the southwest corner of Fifth Avenue and Eighth Street present a rising curve of elegance. Henry J. Hardenbergh, architect of the old Waldorf-Astoria, the Hotel Albert and the Third Avenue Car Barns, designed all three. No. 8 was once the home of the art collection which formed a part of the original Metropolitan Museum of Art."

Excerpt from

Elizabeth McCausland, caption for “Fifth Avenue, nos. 4, 6, 8,” in New York in the Thirties [former titled: Changing New York], (New York: Dover Publications, Inc., 1973; New York: E.P. Dutton & Company, Inc.,1939), plate 48 (np).

Web Resources