Spout from a water vessel: human figure
- c. 200–1300 CE
- MATERIAL AND TECHNIQUE:
- Overall: 8 1/2 x 3 3/8 x 2 in. (21.59 x 8.57 x 5.08 cm.)
- Arts of the Pacific Islands
- Arts of the Pacific Islands - Indonesia, Level 3
- CREDIT LINE:
- Dallas Museum of Art, General Acquisitions Fund
- Image courtesy Dallas Museum of Art
- OBJECT NUMBER:
Although they survive as fragments, these pieces can be appreciated for their sculptural form and intricately incised decoration.
Originally the spout from a water vessel, or kendi, this remaining fragment is a human head covered with geometric and anthropomorphic patterns. In central Sulawesi, a number of prehistoric terracotta fragments have been found.
Roslyn A. Walker, Label text, 2013.