Gunsmith and Police Department

MAKER:
Artist

Berenice Abbott ( American, 1898 - 1991 )

DATE:
1937, print 1983
more object details

General Description

The following is the caption by Elizabeth McCausland accompanying the original 1939 edition of Berenice Abbott's Changing New York publication.

Frank Lava's gun shop was founded in 1850 by Eli Parker. It closed up during the Civil War, but was re-opened in 1870 by ancestors of the present owner. The Lava shop used to do repair work for the police, until the department retained its own armorers. It still does work, however, for the sheriff's staff.

Excerpt from

Elizabeth McCausland, caption for “Gunsmith and Police Department,” in New York in the Thirties [former titled: Changing New York], (New York: Dover Publications, Inc., 1973; New York: E.P. Dutton & Company, Inc.,1939), plate 26 (np).

Web Resources