Porcelain Vase with Floral Decoration in Blue, Red, & Green
- c. 1662–1722
- MATERIAL AND TECHNIQUE:
- 9 3/4 × 4 3/4 × 4 3/4 in. (24.77 × 12.07 × 12.07 cm)
- Decorative Arts and Design
- Wendy and Emery Reves Collection - Porcelain , Level 3
- CREDIT LINE:
- Dallas Museum of Art, The Wendy and Emery Reves Collection
- OBJECT NUMBER:
This vase is part of a set of vases called garnitures. Possibly first seen on temple altars by 16th or 17th century European visitors to China, garnitures of vases became popular items of interior decoration in Europe during the later 17th century continuing through the 19th century. They were assembled from the numerous single pieces imported into Europe for use on mantelpieces, furniture, on overdoor cornices, cabinet tops, as well as on tables and shelves. The arrangement consisted of the covered jar form (see 1985.R.839.A-B) usually placed centrally and flanked or separated by beaker-form vases, as seen here, or otherwise alternating the shapes depending on their combinations. Garniture sets of three, five, or seven were common.
Dallas Museum of Art, Decorative Arts Highlights from the Wendy and Emery Reves Collection (Dallas, Texas: Dallas Museum of Art, 1995), 98.
Dallas Museum of Art, The Wendy and Emery Reves Collection (Dallas, Texas: Dallas Museum of Art, 1985), 188 and 197.