Small Cup with Blue and Gold Decoration
Compagnie des Indes ( Chinese , 1719 - 1794 )
- 18th century
In the late 17th century, aristocratic European taste moved away from imported blue and white porcelains, and people were willing to pay more for the polychrome enamels exported to Jingdezhen.
From 1683 to 1750 China's porcelain industry achieved new heights under three successive directors of the imperial factories at Jingdezhen in Jiangzi province who were encouraged by the Qing dynasty emperors Kangxi (reigned 1662-1722), Yongzheng (reigned 1723-35), and Qianlong (reigned 1736-95).
Enamel decoration on porcelain, which appeared in the Sung dynasty (960-1280) and was improved during the Yuan (1280-1368) and Ming (1368-1644) dynasties, also reached its apogee between 1683-1750.
On display in almost every room in the Reves wing at the Dallas Museum of Art are pieces of Chinese export porcelain assembled principally by Wendy Reves. The collection includes some 363 objects.
Olivier Meslay and Martha MacLeod, From Chanel to Reves (Dallas, Texas: Dallas Museum of Art, 2015), 56.
Carl Wuellner, "The Wendy and Emery Reves Collection,” in Dallas Museum of Art, 100 Years , ed. Dorothy M. Kosinski (Dallas, TX: Dallas Museum of Art, 2003), Pamphlet number 55.
Label text, Reves Galleries, Porcelain Gallery
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Read more about Chinese Export Porcelain