Anton Prinner ( Hungarian, 1902 - 1983 )
This sculpture is a monument of the International Constructivist movement. With its four sides each featuring distinct planar-sculptural compositions, this "column" has a dynamic quality, revealing a series of complex new "faces" to the viewer circulating around it. The architectural quality of this work reminds us of the importance of the ideal of the total work of art in the constructivist aesthetic. Emerging in Russia after the Revolution, constructivism evolved in Western Europe as an international movement, promoting an art of pure abstraction that denied simulation or imitation.
Dorothy Kosinski, DMA label copy, 2003
- Victoria and Albert Museum, London
Check out this blog post about Anton Prinner from the V&A.;