George B. Sharp ( American )
- c. 1875
The workshop of silversmith George B. Sharp, in 1870 the largest in the city with forty-five employees, produced wares for retailer Bailey & Co. from the mid-1860s until its failure in 1873. This fish slice and its matching fork (19188.8.131.52) bears the inscription Patent 1866, which refers to patent no. 2,475 granted to Sharp employee Augustus Conradt for the flatware handle featuring the central beaded bar. Sharp's patent (no. 3,766) for the stork motif that terminates the handle was not granted until 1869.
Charles L. Venable, Silver in America, 1840-1940: A Century of Splendor (Dallas, Texas: Dallas Museum of Art; New York, New York; Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 1994), 22, 325.