The Port of Morgat
Odilon Redon ( French, 1840 - 1916 )
This melancholic landscape of the fishing village of Morgat was painted in 1883, on Odilon Redon's second trip to the coast of Brittany. Located about two miles from Crozon, Redon visited this location many times during his stay in Brittany. When walking to Morgat, he often took both a sketchbook and a small drawing board, and worked to transcribe the buildings, rocks, dunes, and people of this desolate part of France. The town itself has a muffled presence in this landscape, which seems more insistently directed to the boat, the reflective water of the port, and the great black rock of the foreground. The part of the port that should be populated and alive is hidden from us by the large rock. The fishing boat is beached, the village deserted, the port empty of activity, the beach dark, and the sky filled with wind. A tiny windmill churns on a distant hill, an emblem of isolation and endurance.
Richard Brettell, Impressionist Paintings, Drawings, and Sculpture from the Wendy and Emery Reves Collection (Dallas Museum of Art, 1995), 87.
- Museum of Modern Art, New York
View another landscape painting by Odilon Redon.