Napoleon III Rug with Black Background and Colored Flowers
- MATERIAL AND TECHNIQUE:
- Ukrainian knotted savonnerie
- 106 1/2 × 94 in. (2 m 70.51 cm × 2 m 38.76 cm)
- Decorative Arts and Design
- Wendy and Emery Reves Collection - Belle Chambre, Level 3
- CREDIT LINE:
- Dallas Museum of Art, The Wendy and Emery Reves Collection
- Image courtesy Dallas Museum of Art
- OBJECT NUMBER:
The Victorian reaction to the austere forms, limited palette, and small designs of the neoclassic taste of the late 18th and early 19th centuries was a profusion of large-scale polychrome forms. These large beautifully shaded cabbage roses, leaves, and branches are dramatically set against a black background. Note the pink and white trompe l'oeil border which appears to be a three-dimensional ribbon.
Dallas Museum of Art, The Wendy and Emery Reves Collection (Dallas, Texas: Dallas Museum of Art, 1985), 216.