Vase with Coat of Arms
Compagnie des Indes ( Chinese , 1719 - 1794 )
This vase is one of a set of five vases called garnitures. Possibly first seen on temple altars by 16th or 17th century European visitors to China, garnitures of vases became popular items of interior decoration in Europe during the later 17th century continuing through the 19th century.
The arrangement consisted of the alternating the pear-shape vase, as seen here, with the baluster-shape vase (see 1985.R.827) or otherwise alternating the shapes depending on their combinations. Garniture sets of three, five, or seven were common.
Each pear-shaped or baluster-shape vase in this garniture de __cheminée is molded with raised panels for enameled armorials or scenes of a bird on a flowering branch. Contrasting with the smooth ground of the painted panels is an overall raised opaque white enamel (bianco sopra bianco) grain and flower pattern covering the rest of the vase. The late Baroque style of the mantling about the arms suggests that this set was decorated during the 1740s. The arms are continental and belong to the Ordrone family.
Dallas Museum of Art, Decorative Arts Highlights from the Wendy and Emery Reves Collection (Dallas, Texas: Dallas Museum of Art, 1995), 98.
Dallas Museum of Art, The Wendy and Emery Reves Collection (Dallas, Texas: Dallas Museum of Art, 1985), 188 and 197.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Read more about Chinese Export Porcelain