In the Mexican Quarter

MAKER:
Artist

Edward G. Eisenlohr ( American, 1872 - 1961 )

DATE:
1928
more object details

General Description

Edward G. Eisenlohr's pencil drawings demonstrate his precision and control in this medium. The tonality created by his delicate linear hatch marks is as expressive as the gradations of color in oil paintings such as After the Cutting (1959.168). The meticulously rendered landscape views in Eisenlohr's sketchbook (1986.21) offer an early glimpse of his working methods. In his drawings, prints, and paintings, he depicted the landscape of North Texas and New Mexico before the urban expansion of the 1950s.

Adapted from

Heather MacDonald, DMA gallery text, February 2009.

Fun Facts

  • This drawing was a gift to the Dallas Museum of Fine Arts the year before it changed its name to Dallas Museum of Art and relocated to its present location. At the time, the significance of the work was enhanced by its depiction of the Museum's then-pending building site. The brick bell tower shown in the background is First United Methodist Church, which is located across Ross Avenue from the Museum. When Eisenlohr drew this view of downtown Dallas, the church building was only two years old and the Museum would not be built for another fifty-six years.