"Cawcia" cordial glass
Salviati Glass Works ( Italian, 1877 )
- Designed c. 1923
Between 1880 and 1940, hand-blown Italian glass became extremely popular among America's wealthy elite. This cordial glass was originally part of a large set of stemware ordered in 1938 by Jean Baptiste and Mary Adoue of Dallas. Mr. Adoue succeeded his father in heading the National Bank of Commerce and served as Mayor of Dallas in the early 1950s. According to the Adoue family papers, this pattern was called Cawcia; it features elaborate enamel work depicting hounds running through a field of flowers.
The Salviati Glass Work that made these pieces was one of Italy's foremost producers of luxury table glass. Harkening back to 17th- and 18th-century Venetian glass designs, the pieces in this set are indicative of the conservative tastes that dominated American aesthetics during the first half of the 20th century. Based on virtually identical examples in the collection of the National Design Museum, these pieces are believed to have been made around 1923 by Salviati.
Charles L. Venable, Ellen P. Denker, Katherine C. Grier, Stephen G. Harrison, China and Glass in America, 1880-1980: From Tabletop to TV Tray (New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 2000), 449, cat. 123
DMA unpublished material.