For Students K-12
- Look closely at this painting. What do you notice? How many people do we see? What are they doing?
- How many instruments can you find? The figure on the right side of the painting is playing an instrument called a lute, which is similar to a guitar. It is a very light instrument, so it is easy to carry from place to place. Do you know how to play an instrument?
- The title Bacchic Concert refers to Bacchus, the Roman god of wine and agriculture. Bacchus is usually portrayed wearing a wreath of grapes and vine leaves. Can you identify which figure is Bacchus?
- How does the artist draw your attention to the figure of Bacchus?
- Imagine you can step into this painting. What do you think this scene would sound like?
- Imagine that you are inside this scene. How does it feel? Is it warm or cool? What gives you that impression?