Times & Places
C. Dorflinger & Sons (1881-1921)
A native of Alsace, Christian Dorflinger (1828-1915) trained as a glass-maker in France and emigrated to the United States in 1846. In 1852, he acquired the Long Island Flint Glass Works in Brooklyn, New York and by 1860 two others (including Greenpoint Glass Works), all of which made flint glass. At the Dorflinger Glass Works, founded in 1865 in White Mills, Pennsylvania, he made blanks for other factories and, from 1867, did glass cutting and engraving. In 1881, it became C. Dorflinger and Sons, and his four sons and his grandsons carried on after his death until the factory closed in 1921. The factory made superior glassware, including tableware for the White House. C. Dorflinger & Sons is renowned internationally for its production of high quality cut and engraved glass.
Harold Newman, An Illustrated Dictionary of Glass, (London: Thames and Hudson, 1977), 96-97.
New York Times
Read more about C. Dorflinger & Sons.