For Students K-12
- What is happening in this painting?
- Describe one of the figures in the painting. Now, imagine yourself as a figure inside the painting. Which are you doing? What are you feeling?
- What time of year is it? How can you tell?
- Do we still move cows over long distances? How do we move cattle across distances now?
- Do you see anyone watching the rangers drive the cows? Look closely!
- The artist was known as Aunt Clara, and she paints herself as the little girl depicted in the bottom right corner of the painting. Aunt Clara was 70 years old when she made this painting, but was remembering herself as a girl watching cowboys drive the cattle. What kind of sounds do you think Aunt Clara would have heard as she watched the cows and cowboys pass by?