Artists & Designers
Whiting Manufacturing Company (American, 1866-1924)
The Whiting Manufacturing Company was formed in 1866 and was sucessor to Tifft & Whiting. The principals were William D. Whiting, president; William M. Cowan, vice-president; and Charles E. Buckley, treasurer. Later George E. Strong joined the firm. In 1869-70, the firm acquired the flatware dies of Michael Gibney and Henry Hebbard. These two manufacturers had produced some of the most elegant and popular silverware of the day. George E. Strong had had an interest in the Hebbard firm beginning in 1866. That he was a principal in Whiting by 1869 shows a linkage between the two companies. Evidence suggests that Hebbard & Co. was dissolved because of the loss of the Tiffany & Co. account, the Tiffany firm having purchased Edward Moore's large silverware manufacturing firm in 1869.
Whiting's factory was located in North Attleboro, Massachusetts, where it operated until a disastrous fire in 1875. At that point, F. Jones, a refiner from Newark, New Jersey, purchased the ruins, salvaged what machinery and dies it could, and removed all operations to New York City. The new establishment housed both commercial and manufacturing departments in a large double corner building at 692 and 694 Broadway, at Fourth Street, extending through to Lafayette Place. Charles Osborne was chief designer for the firm during two different periods and once held the position of vice-president. He received numerous patents, regular and design, for silver flatware and hollowware.
In 1924 the firm was sold to Gorham; a couple of years later, its equipment was moved to Providence, Rhode Island, to be merged into the Gorham operations.
Charles L. Venable, Silver in America, 1840-1940: A Century of Splendor (Dallas, Texas: Dallas Museum of Art; New York, New York; Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 1994), 324.